There are many types of mobile equipment, their use depends on the processes involved with the industry.
- Examples of mobile equipment include:
- Forklifts, towing equipment, cranes
- Maintenance buggies & electric carts
- Automated storage & retrieval systems, order pickers, aerial lifts and scissor lifts
- Machines & hauling equipment (loaders, haul trucks, utility trucks, excavators.)
- Do not exceed posted speed limits; if not posted, then ask management
- Do not make sharp turns or swings; always understand the center of gravity of the machine; do not exceed rated loads
- Honk at intersections before proceeding; always make sure there is a clear line of sight
- Wear seat belts and Personal Protective Equipment, as required
- Understand company policy on right-of-way
- Machine safety is the management of safety risks that can occur when operating a machine.
- Inspect the function of the doors / hinges, hydraulic hoses, nuts / bolts, condition of tires and other areas.
- Verify lights, gauges, horns and other similar equipment are in working order; verify fluids are at required levels.
- Ensure there are no obstructions or debris in the equipment before starting and the vehicle is free from leaks of any type.
- Make sure the operating manual has been reviewed before operating any equipment
Work Environment Safety
- It is a good practice to have an understanding of the work environment before entering.
- Inspect the condition of the ground for holes, obstructions, dips and uneven surfaces.
- Inspect the condition of walls, racks, vertical and overhead storage
- Verify the area is well lit or can be illuminated with vehicle or machine lighting
- Always identify pedestrians and other vehicles and verify they see you
- Pre-read the Toolbox Talk. Your comfort level and confidence will be higher if you know your topic.
- Discuss related tasks, work areas or events that make the Toolbox Talk relevant to your job site.
- Involve the workers by asking questions and input that drives discussion.
Questions for Discussion
- What types of task training are provided for Mobile Equipment? What daily checks are conducted on Mobile Equipment?