All employees working on the roof should be tied off unless additional safety features such as a guardrail have been put into place.
- Placement – Where will the materials be delivered? How long will they remain in that location? Where will the material be stored? Are there any trip hazards associated with storage/placement?
- Point Loading – Roof structures can only withstand a specific weight load. If we are dropping all of our material onto one location, has that location been designed to bear all of that extra weight?
- Overhead Protection – Will work be taking place beneath the cool roofing installation? If so, what steps have we taken to prevent materials from falling off the roof and striking workers below? Do workers beneath the installation know that there is overhead work taking place? Do workers on the roof know there is work taking place below?
- Hoisting – How will the materials be delivered? Will a crane drop them off? If so, are there pinch point concerns we have to worry about when rigging the material to the crane? Who will be responsible for landing and removing the materials? Have they been properly trained to direct the crane operator?
- Equipment Conveyance – What equipment will need to be delivered to the roof to install this system? How will those materials be delivered to the roof? Have we located a proper location to store equipment that will be required for the install?
- Environmental Factors – Are we doing the installation during the winter? If so how are we dealing with rain/slip hazards? Is there a chance there may be ice on the roof? Additional environmental concerns include strong winds, lighting, and excessively hot days where workers on the roof are at a greater risk of heat exhaustion.
- WAC 296-155 – also chapters on ladders and scaffolds
- Pre-read the Toolbox Talk. Your comfort level and confidence will be higher if you know your topic.
- Discuss related tasks, work areas or events that make the Toolbox Talk relevant to your job site.
- Involve the workers by asking questions and input that drives discussion.
Questions for Discussion
- Where is it located?
- Which trades may be in a new situation? How is it sequenced?
- What equipment & materials are involved? How is it installed?
- How is it operated & maintained